Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Balancing Act

Sometimes it is hard getting back on track after the holidays.  The kids get used to the junk food that seems to be abundant during this time of year.  Trying to give your child, husband or yourself something healthy AND something that is enjoyable can be hard sometimes.  Especially right after Christmas.  It is all about balancing the good for you foods with the treats.  Let's face it, we all like a treat now and then.

Today's lunch is one of the staple meals that I KNOW my son will not complain about.  An empty lunchbox at the end of the day is a happy belly.  Of course, it is all about using those leftovers too!  When I make spaghetti sauce, I normally make enough so that the boys (son and husband) can take some pasta with them the next day.  Spaghetti and meat sauce, sliced cucumber, carrots, dill pickles and a Babybel cheese round.

For the balance...he THINKS he is getting a treat with the Crush yogurt.  It is something fun for him to eat yet healthy.  I would rather not have the litter in the lunch but he does bring home his containers for washing and recycling.  The granola bar too is something fun he normally doesn't get in his lunch.  It is still a treat but has some healthy aspects to it.  Now for the full treat.  Two cookies....store bought.  For shame I know.  But with all of the holiday cooking I have done recently, I do not feel like baking...this is going to have to do.  I have a 9 year old boy who eats like a horse and has low blood sugar problems, so on occasion I have to put another small snack on the side.  Today I put in giant Goldfish crackers for him to munch on in class. 

For those concerned about the tomato sauce staining the Goodbyn, don't sweat it.  I have had this box for over a year now and NO staining at all.  If you wanted to reheat the spaghetti (my son likes his cold, straight from the Goodbyn) I would suggest putting it into a different container.  Nena has posted about these awesome Wean Cubes that fit perfectly into the Goodbyn and can be removed for a quick reheating. 

Happy New Year everyone!  Let's get back on track!!!

3 comments:

  1. We call dill pickles "guerkins" LOL Just a random fact for you - I hadnt thought about putting them in my lunch box - I may just have to do that - thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I don't blame you for not baking homemade cookies. I was so tired of all the baking I did right before Christmas, I wasn't so interested when the big day arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've been looking for better lunchbox ideas and I think I've hit on a goldmine! Thanks for the post. :)

    ReplyDelete