Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holiday Baking

First off, I apologize for not having a lunch post today.  I totally flaked on a Christmasy themed lunch this week.  So instead...I want to share some yummy sweet recipes that I find myself making during the holidays.  And what kid doesn't appreciate some cookies in their lunchbox?!

One of my favourite cookies of the holiday season is ginger snaps.  My grandmother used to make these all the time...the smell of ginger, cinnamon and molasses....yummy!


Gingersnaps

  • 3/4 cup margarine

  • 1 cup white sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1/4 cup molasses

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  • 2 teaspoons baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/2 cup white sugar to roll your cookies in


  • Optional ingredients:  chopped candied ginger OR zest of one orange

    Preheat your oven to 350.  Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.  Add egg and molasses and mix until combined well.   If you are adding orange zest or candied ginger I would add to the wet now.  Mix together your dry ingredients (minus the sugar for rolling).  Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated.  You are going to have a dense dough that you can roll into balls.  Roll into 1 inch balls then roll the balls into the sugar.  I have used decorative sugar for this as well and it gives the cookie extra crunch since the sugar crystals are so large.  Regular granulated sugar works just as well.    Place your cookie dough balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 - 3 inches apart.  Bake for 8 - 10 mins.  Cool on a rack and done! 

    The next recipe also holds some wonderful childhood memories.  Shortbread cookies!  I love these buttery, crumbly, sweet cookies.  The best and most easy recipe I have come across so far is the one that comes off of the Canada Cornstarch box. 

    Shortbread Cookies


  • 1/2 cup cornstarch

  • 1/2 cup icing sugar (aka confectioners sugar or powdered sugar) 

  • 1 cup flour

  • 3/4 cup butter, softened


  • Preheat your oven to 350.  Sift the cornstarch. flour and sugar together into a bowl.   Mix your room temp butter into your dry ingredients.  Form into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet....I use either a silicone baking mat or parchment paper because I don't want them to brown much.  Flatten the balls with a fork or the bottom of a drinking glass that you have dusted with icing sugar so it won't stick to the cookie dough.  Bake for 15 - 20 mins.   

    You can change up these cookies with some lemon zest in the dough or top with some candied cherry pieces. 

    These recipes are peanut free and safe for school and work lunches!!  Happy baking!

    5 comments:

    1. Oh man, you don't even realize how much I LOVE Ginger cookies! I am totally making these this week.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I just wanted to share a little bit of happy with someone and for this y'all seemed the perfect group to do so- about a month ago on this website called Gilt they were giving a $20 credit when you joined, well at the time the goodbyn was on sale on that website and so I ordered it and got free shipping and I only paid $2.97!!! I used my name and then my husbands and then my mom ordered one for me too- I bought three goodbyns for less than $10 awesome huh!! just got the first one yesterday cab't wait to use it

      ReplyDelete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Three Goodbyns for less than $10?! That IS awesome!

      ReplyDelete
    5. These are sooo good Nena...try with a bit of orange zest for something a bit different. My grammy used to make these for me all the time. I should post her molasses cookies recipe too. It's sooooo good.

      ReplyDelete