Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Build Your Own Salad

Within the last few months my darling little boy who previously would eat just about anything you put in front of him has turned into the dreaded Picky Eater!  I have found that one of the ways I can get him to eat things he might not otherwise eat is to let him "make it himself."  Now, as you can imagine with a two-year-old this can get quite messy.  But from what I have gathered from fellow Moms with darling little boys, no matter what age they are, there is something about making it yourself that makes their meal far more appealing.  And trust me, this doesn't change even when they get to be husbands with kids of their own.

So for today's lunch I sent my hubby to work with a build your own chef salad (you should have seen the delight on his face when he saw the contents of his Goodbyn).  This is definitely one of his favorites to eat, and my favorites to make (because it is SO EASY!)
I started with spinach.  I am sure if you look at some of my other posts you will see that my family eats a lot of spinach.  But it is a super food!  Chalk full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidents it is an excellent choice for the base of a salad.  If your kiddos don't like spinach, try slipping it in among their other greens.  You'd be surprised what they will eat when it is mixed up with some of their other favorites.
I cut up some mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots and threw in some sun-dried tomatoes. in the middle compartment.  Along with some lightly seasoned chicken breast (I cook up a big batch of this and separate them into smaller containers in my freezer so I can just take out a new container each week.  It's a great thing to have on hand for salads, wraps and quick stirfrys); sliced ham, and a hard boiled egg in the bottom compartment.  A little light mozzarella cheese and some sweet vinaigrette completes this lunch.
It's fun because it allows for some choice.  My DH can put on as much or as little of anything as he wants, and I feel good because he is eating a healthy, filling lunch.
If you are worried for younger children and their ability to "toss a salad" together inside their bento, go ahead and send a plastic bowl with them.  This way they can take things out of their Goodbyn and mix it up without making a big mess.
I am hoping you enjoyed my post today.  Be sure to check out Georgina's awesome St. Patty's Day Post tomorrow; and if you haven't already, stop by our new Giveaway to see how you can win one of the brand new Byntos!  Happy lunching!    
Thinking outside of the bag,

No comments:

Post a Comment